Monday, June 16, 2014

What I'm Up To... An Author Blog Hop

I've been tagged by Jennifer Lynn Alvarez, author of the middle-grade Guardian Herd Series, starring flying horses (How cool is that?)! Click her name to see her answers to these same questions.

What are you working on? I'm working on Legend of The Lost, a Zoey and Claire Mystery, Book #4. I have twelve more pages to polish up before it goes to the line editor! In case you didn't know, I also write under Claire Kane. There are three mysteries out so far: The Riddles of Hillgate, Cruise to Murder, and Hexes and X's. Although the books star grown adults, a mother and daughter, the stories are clean enough for any age to enjoy. If you enjoy my Molly Snow stories, then you may enjoy my Claire Kane mysteries, since they have some similar silliness.



I'm simultaneously working on To Catch a Fox, a third story in my shifter series... although I'm still in the first chapter. I have a cover made, though, and that's always good for motivation! I'm very excited to see how this series will do once advertised.


How does your work differ from others in its genre? I started writing paranormal stories a long, long time ago. I haven't really been a reader of paranormal stories, either, so perhaps this is a reason why quite a few reviewers say my stories are fresh. I don't feel obligated to go by classic rules of the genre. For instance, my zombies can look good for a long time, because of a preservative released into their body once turned. My werewolves can cure zombies of their condition. The black cat in BeSwitched can switch bodies with lonely souls. So whatever I think sounds fun, I do.

Why do you write what you write? I write what excites me. I like to think of my writing as a business, but there is one thing I will never do to get ahead--write something that's not really me. I know there are other genres that could make me so much more money, but I have to stay true to my interests. My stories have plenty of comedy. I just can't help myself when it comes to humor--it has to be an integral part of my storytelling or I won't have fun in the process.

Describe your writing process? It depends on the story, but I try and have some sort of outline before I start. The least I should know is what's my main characters' greatest desire and greatest weakness? Next, what's the obstacle holding them back from reaching their goal, and what's the worst thing that can happen to them--some sort of moment of crisis.

For example, in Head Over Halo, an angel, Persephone, has two great desires--to learn to sing, and to be with a mortal guy, who happens to be a singer. Her greatest obstacles are, she's an angel with a voice that destroys things, and since she's an not mortal it's against the laws of heaven to be with one. You'll have to read the story to find out her moment of crisis, but the way it unfolds is a lot of fun.


1 comment:

  1. Information was dancing all, a lot of new things that I get after reading the your article. Cara Terbaik Mengobati Penyakit Kanker Cara Efektif Mengatasi Asam Urat
    In addition, see the blog is also very beautiful to look at. Cara Menyembuhkan Penyakit Gagal Jantung Cara Efektif Menyembuhkan Penyakit Gula
    I am very senag once have found this nice blog. Penyebab dan Gejala Demam Berdarah atau DBD

    ReplyDelete